Things That Should Be Part of Type 2 Diabetes Treatment
Diabetes is a life-long disease which requires complex treatment. It’s not just taking the prescribed medication or avoiding sugar that will help control blood glucose. In fact, there are many things to consider when it comes to managing diabetes.
Choosing the right foods and beverages, physical activity, natural supplements, herbs, and alternative treatments, and remedies should all be part of your type 2 diabetes treatment.
Besides eating plenty of low-fat, and high fiber foods like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, diabetics should also avoid refined carbs, animal products, and sweets.
Here are a few other things to consider for proper type 2 diabetes management.
- Acupuncture – helps relieve pain which can be especially helpful in those with diabetic neuropathy
- Biofeedback – a relaxation technique that trains people to control pain and other bodily processes
- Guided imagery – another technique which focuses on relaxation and stress relieve
The most important thing is to have regular physical activity, of course after consulting the doctor. That could be walking, biking, and swimming.
Also, spend at least half an hour of aerobic exercise 5 days a week. But, if you’re a beginner, start slowly with stretching and strength training exercise and build up gradually.
Moreover, combining aerobic exercise like dancing or walking almost every day, with resistance training like yoga or weightlifting twice per week is more effective in controlling blood sugar than any other exercise alone.
Don’t forget that exercise can cause a drop in blood glucose, especially if people take diabetes medication. So, make sure you have a snack before exercising.
Natural Dietary Supplements
Chromium – studies suggest chromium can improve the function of insulin by making glucose tolerance factor
Ginseng – researchers believe ginseng can help reduce fasting and after-meal blood glucose levels. Also, some studies say it could help reduce the A1c results
Magnesium – Lack of magnesium can worsen blood glucose control in those with type 2 diabetes, and contribute to some diabetes-related complications. Also, this mineral reduces the risk of developing the disease.
Vanadium – animal studies show that this animal and plant compound can help regulate blood sugar levels in type 1 and 2 diabetes. What’s more, it can even improve insulin sensitivity in people with diabetes, researchers say.
ALA (Alpha-lipoic acid) – according to studies, this antioxidant is powerful enough to decrease oxidative stress, insulin resistance, and fasting blood glucose levels.
Some plant foods help our body use insulin and fight inflammation. So, by using insulin properly, our body will have better control over blood glucose levels. Most of these foods are high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Herbal treatments for type 2 diabetes include:
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera juice can regulate blood glucose levels in those with type 2 diabetes
- Brewer’s yeast
- Broccoli and similar greens
- Fenugreek seeds – helps reduce blood glucose levels and improve glucose tolerance
- Clove oil – supports the function of insulin and reduce glucose
- Cinnamon – helps stimulate insulin secretion and improve the metabolism of sugar
- Okra – helps reduce blood sugar levels
- Coffee – it contains a compound which helps improve insulin sensitivity and prevent type 2 diabetes
- Leafy greens
- Ginger – helps improve long-term blood glucose control
- Bitter Melon – it contains anti-diabetes active substances which reduce blood glucose levels and suppress appetite
We hope these tips will help you control your blood sugar better than before.