Protein is one of the most important energies for the body which gives fat and carbohydrates. It is crucial for tissue health, nails, skin, and hair. Without it, our body can’t function properly.
Moreover, it is an important boost for our immune system which can help maintain normal levels of blood glucose and weight. Research indicates that protein is also important for the heart, especially for people with type 2.
Furthermore, the study claims that protein is important for those with diabetes because it influences their metabolism. Besides, there are even more studies that recommend alternative diets for people with type 2.
These diets contain a lot of fat and protein but are low in carbohydrates. As such, they are immensely popular.
The reason for this is that this diet makes the person feel full without consuming too many calories. Also, a lot of proteins can cause increased prandial insulin secretion and can improve glycemic control for those with type 2.
However, more studies are necessary if we want to have conclusive evidence of how proteins can affect either positively or negatively those with type 2. So, how to prevent and treat type 2 and obesity is still unknown.
How to Choose Protein
We need to be careful about what kind of proteins we choose. It is important that they are low in cholesterol and saturated fat. So we should go for fish, poultry, beans, and legumes. If we love pork, the best thing is that we don’t have to avoid it.
Therefore, we can purchase low-sodium ham, lean ground pork, and tenderloin. According to the USDA, these choices are not bad for those with type 2. To measure them we should choose:
- 4.5 g of saturated fat;
- Per 3 and a half ounces of meat pick 95 mg of cholesterol;
- 10 grams of fat.
Therefore we should avoid hot dogs, bacon, regular sausages, salami, lamb, bologna, ground beef, and cuts of pork that have fat. If we consume them, they might raise the bad LDL cholesterol level in the system.
In other words, if we want to keep our blood cholesterol balanced we should avoid foods that contain too much cholesterol, or if we eat them, consume them in moderation. Even egg yolks contain cholesterol, so be careful.
How Much Protein Should We Eat?
According to the UK Food Standards Agency, the amount of protein that should be consumed depends on age.
- Babies from 1 to 3 years old should consume 15g;
- Preschoolers from 4 to 6 years old should consume 20g;
- Children from 7 to 10 years old should consume 28g;
- Preteens and teens from 11 to 14 years old should consume 42g;
- Teenagers and young adults from 15 to 18 years old should consume 55g;
- People from 19 to 50 years old should consume 55g;
- Adults over 50 years old should consume 53g.
However, there are some diets like the Zone diet which recommends we eat based on our body weight measured minus our body fat, or the body mass.
What About Kidney Damage?
If we have a complication known as kidney damage as a result of diabetic neuropathy, we should consume fewer proteins. Doctors can determine whether we have this condition or not by testing for ketones in the system.
They can do this by examining the urine. Around 40% of people who have diabetes can have this condition, so it is important to take it into consideration when planning a meal with proteins.
List of Plants That Contain Protein
Not only meat have protein, but plants have as well. Moreover, they contain fiber and healthy fats but are very low in carbs and fat. Therefore, we need to make sure we read the labels before we purchase anything. There might be products with added sugars.
Here is a list of plants that have proteins:
- Green, yellow, and brown lentils;
- Nuts and spreads like peanut butter, cashew butter, or almond butter;
- Products like “hot dogs”, “burgers”, “sausage”, “beef” crumbles, “bacon”, and meatless ‘’chicken” nuggets;
- Kidney, pinto, and black beans;
- Split or black-eyed peas;
- Beans like refried beans and baked beans;
- Tofu, Tempeh;
- Soy nuts;
- Falafel and hummus;
How to Plan Our Plate
It is important to plan our plate if we have the condition. This way it will be easier for us to control and manage our diet. Plus, we shouldn’t deprive our bodies of any important nutrients.
Instead, we should focus on planning and organizing our plates with everything that our body needs.
Therefore, we should start with for example one chicken breast or three to four ounces of pork loin. There should be a quarter of our plate reserved for foods that contain a lot of proteins. However, if we have lasagna, we should plan differently.
Because one cup of lasagna will count as starch and meat for our meal, we should fill half our plate with non-starchy veggies.
Here is a list of how many proteins a certain product contains. Maybe this will help us plan our meals easily. This is how much a certain product contains calories from:
- High-fat meats (1 oz of cheese or processed meats ) contain 12 protein, 74 fat, 2.5 carbohydrates;
- Lean meats (3.5 oz of fish, ham, beef, veal, or chicken) contain 124 protein, 41 fat, and 0 carbohydrates;
- Very lean meats (3 oz of shrimp) contain 71 protein, 8 fat, and 0 carbohydrates;
- 1 cup of lentils contains 72 protein, 7.2 fat, and 160 carbohydrates;
- Medium-fat meats (3.5 oz of pork chops, extra-lean ground beef, pork roasts, or beef) contain 102 protein, 147 fat, and 0 carbohydrates;
- 1 cup of milk contains 32 proteins, 42 fat, and 48 carbohydrates.
What About the Glycemic Index?
Well, the good thing is meats don’t have a glycemic index. They can’t raise blood glucose. But if we are vegetarian and we need proteins, try adding lentils, nuts, and beans to our diet, the ones that have a low GI.
So, it is important always to plan our meals accordingly and include a source of protein. After all, they are the key to a healthy body.
Proteins are the main necessary dietary component for every person. They contain amino acids which are crucial for the health of bones, muscles, hormones, and enzymes. Therefore it is important to include them in our diet.
However, every individual should consume them at different levels. Some may be able to eat more than others, so it is important to calculate the age and health of our bodies. This is an important factor for making the right decisions.
Therefore, the final important decision is to plan what we eat and how much we eat. So, we should always plan our meals accordingly and include a source of protein. After all, they are the key to a healthy body.