Taking steps to control diabetes doesn’t necessarily mean that we have to live a life of deprivation. It means eating delicious but well-balanced food that can improve our mood, boost our energy, and help us manage our condition.
Therefore, we don’t have to limit ourselves to consuming bland food at all times or completely give up on sweets. That is why we recommend trying these recipes. Whether we are trying to manage or prevent diabetes, these meals can be a great choice.
Here are 3 of one of the most delicious diabetes-friendly meals.
Note: Make sure to purchase grass-fed meat from a local farmer. Also, consult with a doctor before making any dietary changes.
1. Chicken Strips with Parmesan
This low-carb meal is coated in parmesan. Who doesn’t love Parmesan? Here is how to make this meal.
- Eight ounces of skinless & boneless chicken breasts;
- A quarter cup of grated Parmesan cheese;
- A quarter teaspoon of Hungarian paprika/chili powder;
- Half a teaspoon of oregano;
- Half a teaspoon of basil;
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of garlic powder;
- One beaten egg;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, cut the chicken breasts into one-inch strips. In a bowl, mix all the spices (oregano, chili, garlic, basil, pepper, and salt) with the Parmesan. Dip the chicken strips first in the egg and then in the Parmesan mixture.
After coating the chicken properly, arrange them on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
It is important to spray the baking sheet so that the meat won’t stick. Finally, bake the meat for 20 minutes or until it turns light brown, and serve it with some fat-free salad dressing. Enjoy!
2. Cheesy Beef Steak Lettuce Cups
It is a good idea to replace a bun with some lettuce. That is why we recommend this highly nutritious dish. For it, the following is needed:
- 1/3 cup of thinly sliced mushrooms;
- Three ounces of lean beef steak;
- One slice of fat-free American cheese;
- A quarter cup of thinly sliced Interchopen
- Two leaves of green or romaine leaf lettuce.
Slice the meat into very thin strips. Next, take a medium size pan and coat it with some cooking spray. Once the pan starts to warm add the onions and mushroom. Let them cook for five minutes over medium heat.
Keep stirring until the onions turn slightly brown. Once they have cooked, remove the pan from the heat and set it aside. Add more cooking spray and add the steak strips to the same pan. Cook the meat until it is halfway done and flip it over so it will evenly cook on both sides.
Before the meat is ready, add the small strips of cheese and place them on top of the beef. Let the cheese melt and remove the pan from the heat. Finally, the meal is ready. Serve it with some veggies on top of lettuce leaves.
Use the lettuce as a bun to make the plate look more appealing. Enjoy!
3. Delicious Meatloaf
A meatloaf mixed with beef and ground turkey contains half the fat and all the flavor. So, make sure to give it a try. Here is how to make this recipe.
- One pound of skinless ground turkey breast;
- Half a medium-sized onion – minced;
- One minced garlic clove;
- One pound of lean ground beef;
- Three tablespoons of fresh parsley, minced;
- Two tablespoons of ketchup;
- Two tablespoons of water;
- One egg;
- A quarter cup of low-fat milk;
- Two slices of lightly toasted white bread made into coarse crumbs;
- One teaspoon of dry mustard;
- A quarter teaspoon of salt;
- A quarter teaspoon of white ground pepper;
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, in a big bowl add the meats and mix them with your hands so that they will combine well. After mixing them, add the garlic, parsley, and onion and set them aside.
In a different small bowl, add the egg, milk, nutmeg, mustard, salt, and pepper, and whisk everything well. Lastly, add the breadcrumbs and let them sit for about 5 minutes. Next, combine the two mixtures.
Add the egg mixture to the meat mixture and mix with your hands. Now form a meatloaf and spread the meat over a pan. In a different bowl combine the water with the ketchup and spread the mixture on top of the meat.
Finally, bake the meat for about an hour and a half or until it is no longer pink.